Check Out My Newest Post!

Frodo Baggins-Hero of Middle Earth

*If you have never read or watched The Lord of the Rings , this post could contain some spoilers for you. 😁 Background on Frodo: Frodo is a normal and average Hobbit who loved adventure when he was younger. After his parents' death he went to go live with his cousin Bilbo Baggins at Bag End. Frodo was like every other Hobbit; he enjoyed the thrill of adventure as a child but as he grew older it wore off, until Gandalf came around again...  Age at the Council of Elrond: Frodo is 50, unlike the movies which portrays that he is around 20 and his going on his quest right after Bilbo's birthday. In the books he had shared the birthday party with his cousin Bilbo (their birthday is September 22nd) and then had the Ring in his possession for fifteen plus years before leaving for Bree.  Frodo's Role and Importance in the Fellowship: Frodo is the Ringbearer of the Fellowship. It is his task and his alone to destroy the One Ring at Mount Doom. Every other member of the Fellowship wa

My Reading Journey: Sense & Sensibility

 


A few months ago, I started reading Jane Austen's first novel: Sense & Sensibility

If you have never read or heard of the book before it is a story of two sisters, Elinor and Marianne who are struggling along with their mother and younger sister after the death of their father. Their half-brother, John Dashwood, had originally intended to pass on to them a suitable amount of money each month but after being persuaded by his wife the sum was reduced greatly. The women of the Dashwood family are then forced out of the home they had lived in and into a cottage in the country. Shortly both sisters come to realize that they must eventually marry-and to someone with a decent amount of money. The book shows how each sister deals with the incidents that occur including miscommunication, suitors, secrets, secret lovers, and ultimately- a scandal. After an unfortunate turn of events which leaves both girls with a major heartbreak, they both come to what could be called a happy ending. (I believe this book takes place during the late 1700s)

While this is an excellent book, which I would recommend to most readers, it is a bit slow and very drawn out. I started this book with the intentions of finishing it within the week. Unfortunately for me life happened, and I was only able to read a few chapters during three or four days out of the week. I sort of gave up reading and I haven't started back up again for about two weeks. I do still have full intentions to finish the book, but it has been hard finding time, especially since the book has fifty chapters.

I have known about this book for a while, but I first learned more about it late last year when I watched the 1995 movie starring Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet, with two of my sisters and my parents. I didn't know what to expect but it was pretty good. A few months later I found that we had the book on our bookshelf, so I took it to read later on. It was a few weeks before I attempted to start it, and thus I began this long journey. I don't think that I have ever took so long to read a book-especially with so many breaks in between. 

As of now I am still in the process of finishing this book and unfortunately, I have thirty plus chapters left. I am hoping to finish sooner than later now that my schedule is clearer, and I don't have as much to do. The problem that I now struggle with is finding the book and somewhere quiet to read. 

Hopefully I will be able to finish this great book and move on to the next great read on my list! 

If you enjoyed this post about a small part of my reading journey and you would like to read more like this then please comment below with your thoughts!


Click here to subscribe to my blog and receive exclusive content! 

Comments

  1. Thank you for letting us know that not all books are easy to read! Thanks for not giving up in this classic. It’s a period piece, but still has a message for today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment